Macbook Multi-touch Trackpad Driver update causes Blue Screen of Death

As happy as I was the other day that Apple has released an update for their windows trackpad driver, I've been getting plagued by BSODs caused by "applemtp.sys". I think I've narrowed the cause down to multi-touch operations (using 2 fingers at once), however here is a work-around...well, working for me so far..

image

Workaround:

As I've read on some of the support forums after the update there are now 2 mouse interface devices installed, after Disabling the "Apple Multitouch Mouse" I've not come across another BSOD.

Although I'm not sure yet, perhaps the other interface device is one left over from the previous mouse driver, or its an erroneous ugly twin from the new mouse driver. In either case Apple will need to fix their installer to remove it, or fix driver itself. Hopefully some more light is shed on this soon.

Last revised: 21 Sep 2013 12:15PM

Comments

1/7/2009 7:03:30 PM
It appears that the BSoDs are gone indeed. Firefox 3 still crashes when viewing YouTube movies, so there is still something quite wrong.
2/2/2009 3:00:53 PM
Even after update, lots of crashes :((
2/2/2009 3:13:17 PM
hey guys i uninstalled the driver, and still got the Blue screen 5 minutes later.....i don't know what the hell is going on but i'm starting to get really annoyed....
2/27/2009 7:52:36 AM
It seems I found a fix for XP Sp2/Sp3:
after installing the trackpad update, if you're getting BSOD related to applemtp.sys try this:
Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager
Expand "Human interface devices" and you should find these 2 devices:
Apple Multitouch
Apple Multitouch Mouse.
Double click "Apple Multitouch" -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Click "No" on Windows Update -> Next -> Select "Advanced" option -> Next -> Select "Don't Search..." -> Next -> Now choose the "Apple multitouch Version: 2.1.1.9" dated (Sep 2, 2008) -> Next -> Finish

Do the same exact thing for the 2nd device "Apple Multitouch Mouse".

Now reboot.

Roberto
3/14/2009 4:26:59 AM
I'm having a ton of troubles after this update: BSODs (getting ready to try the fix outlined here), plus applications crashing, including Firefox and GIMP, plus another program I use (Daily Alarm Clock). Prior to this build, my windows builds are generally pretty solid, so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in these issues!
3/22/2009 5:17:35 PM
Driver Version: 2.1.1.9 is with many bugs and it is vary discomfort to use TrackPad with it.
Driver Version: 2.1.2.100 is better but BSOD every time.
Please EveryOne who read this post send bug report to Apple.com Hope they take attention for it soon and fix problem.
DON
DON
4/1/2009 4:50:34 AM
Advice works perfectly thanks
4/16/2009 8:10:40 AM
yeah it worked fine... I selected the 2.1.1.100 for the trackpad. I didnt get any BSOD after that. Thanks a ton. great help indeed :)
4/24/2009 2:17:02 AM
The only drivers available for my Apple Mutlitouch are 2.1.2.1 and 2.1.2.100 , can you tell me where I can get the 2.1.1.100 or the 2.1.1.9 to try to solve my BSOD issue...
Thanks.
Jan
Jan
5/14/2009 12:22:14 PM
yes no BSODs any more....but i cant use the touchpad as a real mouse, no more right click. thats not a real solution to me...
6/5/2009 2:42:37 PM
Thanks for this solution. it worked! uding the older version driver for Apple Multi touch mouse puts an end to the blue screens.

The problem is that using the older version driver means losing right click on the touch pad.

Has anyone got a solution to getting right click to work on the touch pad?

I know that an external mouse is one solution, but not always piratical e.g. when flying!

Max
Max
6/11/2009 6:11:05 PM
I had the same problem when scrolling with two fingers while watching youtube. I forgot that it started happening after I upgraded the trackpad driver. By downgrading you lose right click with two fingers tapping. You can do right click with three finger clicking which is better imho.

btw, I had the problem in Windows 7, ie8, Macbook Pro (late 08).